Sunday, February 20, 2005

losttogether/togetheralone

I’ve been thinking about the relative merits of travelling alone and with another person. Travelling alone allows you to see everything you want to see, and nothing you don’t, but it can be lonely, and there is no-one to support and motivate you to carry on. Travelling with someone allows you to share the experiences (which somehow makes them more valuable) and shows you things that you wouldn’t normally see, but things can get tense if you don’t see eye to eye, especially when money is involved.

I loved travelling with my ex as we had very similar interests, so we had the best of both worlds – it was like travelling alone with someone else. The only thing that irked me a little is that she was so prepared that I could just sit back and enjoy the ride, rather than actively seeking out things that I wanted to do. Now I have the opportunity of travelling with a friend around western USA, which I was a little apprehensive about – will we want to see the same things? Will we get along in close confines for weeks on end? I’ve given up worrying now, as it’s all part of the adventure, and as the song says: life’s what you make it.

No comments: